The Red Cross Bloodmobile will be at the First Church of Christ in Grayson January 23, 1- 6 p.m.. All types of blood are needed.
JANUARY 23 - 24
• Auditions for the Paramount Players’ production of Beauty and the Beast at the Paramount Arts Center are January 23, 24 at 5:30 p.m .for ages 10-14 and 7 p.m. for ages 15 – adult. Please prepare 24 measures of one musical theatre song for the auditions. For children 14 years old and younger, there is an audition song on the Paramount Players’ Facebook Page with an accompaniment track to rehearse with. Those auditioning will be taught a short dance combination. Ages 15 – adult will also be asked to read from the script. For ages 14 and under the available parts are primarily ensemble and dancers. Beauty and the Beast performances at the Paramount will be March 31 and April 1 at 7:30 p.m. and April 1 at 3 p.m.
• The next meeting of the Carter County Drug Free Coalition will be Wednesday, January 25. No meeting was scheduled in Dec.
• # ADULTING - Life is hard. Learn how it can be easier. Mark your calendars. Do you know how to boil an egg? Stock you pantry? COOKING 101 class will be Jan. 25, 5:30 p.m. at the Carter County Extension Office, 94 Fairground Drive, Grayson.
JANUARY 26 - 29
• Carter Caves State Resort Park will present a weekend of outdoor adventure with its 8th Annual Winter Adventure Weekend Jan. 26 - 29. Guests can enjoy hiking, paddling trips, recreational tree climbing, cave tours, winter survival, rappelling, ice climbing, a zip line and more. Nonrefundable fee is $40 for 18+, 13-17 is $30, and children 6-12 are $20. Participants must be at least six years old. Call the park for more information at 286.4411.
• January’s F!nal Fr!day at the Grayson Gallery and Art Center will be Jan. 27, 6 - 9 p.m. The center is located at 301 E. Third Street, Grayson.
• Cooking Through the Calendar is planned at the Carter County Extension Education Center at noon. If you complete all 10 sessions, you will receive a FREE set of cookware. There is no cost to participate. Dates are: Jan. 27, Feb. 24, March 31, April 28, May 26, June 30, July 28, Aug. 25, Sept. 22 and Oct. 27.
• Northeast Head Start and the Carter County Preschool Program are actively recruiting children for the 2017-18 school year. Children who turn three or four before August 1, 2017 are encouraged to apply on Friday, Jan. 27, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Grayson and Olive Hill Head Start Centers. All applications are placed according to federal and state guidelines. Call 474.4602 in Grayson or 286.5711 in Olive Hill for more information.
• Wednesday, Feb. 1 is the deadline for applications for the 2017 Fourth Leadership Academy, which begins on Wednesday, February 8. Applications may be submitted at cartercountycp.org or requested at email@example.com The eight four-hour workshop sessions designed to create community development for Carter County will be held at Extension Center Education Center 94 Fairgrounds Drive, Grayson. Sessions will be Feb. 8, March 8, April 19, May 10, June 28, July 12, August 2 and August 22. Scholarships may be available. Curriculum and class fees are $125.
• The deadline to enter the 2017 Memory Days Theme Contest is Thursday, Feb. 2, noon. There is a limit of five themes entries per person.
• The 2017 Fourth Leadership Academy begins Wed., Feb. 8, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the Carter County Extension Office, 94 Fairgrounds Drive, Grayson.
The Leadership Academy is coordinated by Pat Collier at firstname.lastname@example.org; www.cartercountycp.org
FEBRUARY 10 - 11
• Carter Caves will explode with laughter, murder and mayhem with our Valentine Murder Mystery. You and your partner will enjoy a delicious dinner buffet, featuring several of our chef’s specialties. Then, test your sleuth skills as you help solve the fiendishly funny live performance by the company Murder and Merriment. Join us for a night of romance – and terror! Show times are Friday and Saturday evening at 7 p.m. Seating will begin at 6:45 p.m. Call 606.286.4411 for more information.
• The Grayson Area Chamber of Commerce meeting will be held at ZZ’s/Dixie Lanes’ at noon on Feb. 14. Guest speaker will be Max Hammond with WorkReady Initiative Program.
• The Ashland Lions Club have announced the date for the club’s third annual murder mystery dinner theater. The event will take place Friday, Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. at the Ashland Transportation Center (99 Fifteenth Street.)
Tickets to Marriage, Mob & Murder include the show, dinner and a complimentary wine and beer reception beginning at 6 p.m. Following the reception, the murder mystery will begin at approximately 7 p.m. Tickets to the event are $60 a person with ticket packages available for those who purchase table sponsorships. All proceeds benefit the Ashland Lions Club’s eyesight program. The club provides eye glasses and eye exams in Ashland to those in need.
To purchase tickets to Marriage, Mob & Murder or for information on corporate sponsorship, call Cain at (606) 494-2429. Tickets also are available from any member of the Ashland Lions Club or by contacting the club through its Facebook page. For more information on the Ashland Lions Club, visit facebook.com/ashlandlionsclub.
• The 7th Annual Bridal Expo will be held at the KYOVA Mall - Food Court Area on Feb. 19, 1:30 - 4 p.m. Chamber member booths are $50 and non-chamber member booths without electric will be $125. See Grayson Bridal Expo on Facebook. For more information call 606.474.4401 or email email@example.com.
• # ADULTING - Life is hard. Learn how it can be easier. Mark your calendars. Have a budget? Know your credit score? Is it good? Ever had a loan? MONEY 101 class will be Feb. 22, 5:30 p.m. at the Carter County Extension Office, 94 Fairground Drive, Grayson.
THROUGH MARCH 3
• Elliott County Cooperative Extension Office will be accepting plant order from Jan. 11 - March 3. The plants will arrive in early April. To place an order, contact the office Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or call 738.6400.
• The 2017 State of the County Banquet will be held Thursday, March 30, at Carter Caves State Resort Park Lodge. Meet and Greet will begin at 6 p.m. in the lodge lobby. Dinner will be at 6:30 p.m. This event is sponsored annually by the Grayson and Olive Hill Area Chambers of Commerce. Come and meet local elected officials and hear from Carter County Judge Executive Mike Malone. Register for the dinner with the Grayson Chamber by March 1, noon. Cost will be $30 per person. Mail checks to G.A.C.C. P.O. Box 612 Grayson, KY 41143