In the world of MUSIC
• The Fraley Festival of Traditional Music is set for Sept. 7 - 10 at Carter Caves State Resort Park in Olice Hill. Traditional musical instruments such as the dulcimer, fiddle and guitar are used to tell stories about a life long ago along the foothills of Eastern Kentucky. The music at the Fraley Festival has not been confined to any one type. Folk, old-time, western, western swing, early country, and others are played on a regular basis at the festival. There are all sorts of musical configurations, from family bands or husband and wife duets, to people playing on stage who just met each other a few minutes ago in the parking lot. Wednesday night is a free “jamming in the round” session at the Recreation Shelter House in the campground. Concerts will be held in the Park Amphitheatre on Thursday evening, Friday afternoon & evening, and Saturday afternoon & evening. Concert fees range from $4-$10. A $25 weekend pass is available which admits you to all the concerts and jam sessions. For more information visit the event website at www.fraleyfestival.com
The Col. Bill Williams Music Festival is the third of the Greenbo Summer Music Series. Col. Bill Williams Heritage Music Festival will take place at Greenbo Lake's amphitheater
This event is sponsored by the Greenup Extension Arts Council.
Admission is free and the festival will be 5 - 10 p.m. on Sept. 10.
For more information, call 606.473.7324 or email email@example.com.
• The FIVCO Board of Directors will meet Monday, Sept. 19, noon at the office at East Park.
Carter and Lawrence County Farm Bureaus are sponsoring a “Measure the Candidates” forum for those running for 96th District State Representative. The forum will be held at 6p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 20, at the Lawrence County Extension Office.
During the forum, local Farm Bureau Boards will present policy to the candidates and ask associated questions concerning important state legislative issues. Each candidate will then be given a time to respond. Democrat, Josh McGuire, and Republican, Jill York have been invited to appear before the Farm Bureau leaders.
• The Olive Hill City Council will meet Tuesday, Sept. 20, 6 p.m. at the Olive Hill Senior/Community Center on Railroad Street in Olive Hill.
• Sarah’s Place Women’s Resource Center Craft and Vendor Fair is set for Saturday, Sept. 24, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the First Church of Christ, 287 Pomeroy St., Grayson. There will be a silent cake auction and prizes will be raffled. Vendors will include: Scentsy, LuLaRoe, Plunder, Sew Unique, Damsel in Defense, Perfectly Posh, Sanders Sheet Sets, Welding Caps & Vinyl, Touchstone Crystal Jewelry and many more. Contact Ashley Traylor for more information at 606.783.4270.
SEPTEMBER 28 - OCT. 1
• Quilt Heaven Quilt Shop will have the 10th Annual Mystery Harvest Quilt Shop Hop Sept. 28 - Oct. 1 featuring special fabric, pattern, door prizes, refreshments and sales. Visit their website for more information.
• Grayson Chamber 65th Anniversary Celebration planned. There will be a time capsule event, cake and more.
• Monday, Oct. 3, noon, is the deadline for chili teams to register for the Chili Cookoff during Funtober Fest. The cost per team is $30.
• Grayson will have a Fall Store Front Display Contest with two categories: Best Fall Display and Best Halloween/Funtober Fest Display. Call to register at 474.4401.
OCTOBER 7 - 8
• All-Class Reunion is set for Oct. 7 - 8 at the Olive Hill Historical Society building - the old OHHS.
• Funtober Fest is set for Oct. 8, all day - in downtown Grayson. New for this year - Jeep Cruise-In, also an American Cross Blood Drive. For more information, contact Chair Janie Sturgill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Oct. 11 is the last day to register to vote in the general election. (Monday, Oct. 10, is a legal holiday - Columbus Day.)
• The Carter County Board of Education will meet at the Prichard Elementary School on Thursday, October 20, 6 p.m.
• The Chamber Board of Directors Meeting, will be October 18, 5:30 p.m., at the City Building.
• Sarah’s Place- 5K Run will be Saturday, October 29, in Grayson. Contact: Ashley Traylor at 606-783-4270 for more information.
• General Election Day (the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November). Polls will be open 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. County boards of elections to be in session all day. Mail-in absentee ballots must be received by the clerk before 6 p.m. County boards of elections to meet at the county clerk’s office at 10 a.m. to count absentee ballots.
• The Carter County Board of Education will meet at the East Carter Middle School on Thursday, November 17, 6 p.m.
• The Carter County Board of Education will meet at the West Carter Middle School on Thursday, December 15, 6 p.m.